Friday, October 24, 2014

John Dies at the End Movie Review

Um... spoiler?

In continuing my weekly October reviews of movies from the Halloween Favorites section of Netflix, I decided to do something obscure. I came across a film called John Dies at the End. It had a fairly high rating, and one of the top reviews said that it was "destined to be a cult classic." So, I'm reviewing it.

The movie is an independent horror comedy, which is probably one of the most bizarre I have seen in recent memory. I'll try to sum up the concept to the best of my abilities. It centers around a man whose friend John, and a few others, die from taking a new drug called Soy Sauce. He then accidentally injects himself with it, and finds that he has gained psychic abilities, and can communicate with John from beyond the grave. Over the course of the movie, he slowly figures out that Soy Sauce is at the forefront of an invasion of inter-dimensional beings, and he has to stop it. Yeah, it's as weird as it sounds. The cast is made up mainly of unknown actors, but Paul Giamati plays a small role.

The weirdness of this movie will either make it great for you or ruin it. This will really only attract only a certain kind of people.

If you are one of the people this was made for, I think you may enjoy it. It is at times funny, at times scary, and often intriguing. Although I am still confused on certain scenes at the beginning and the end, it is still a very entertaining cult-y film. I think that it has the potential to be a cult classic.

3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment