Friday, October 10, 2014

Annabelle Movie Review

I have heard many bad reviews for this movie. However, because I was a fan of The Conjuring, I went to see it anyway. The doll looks very creepy, so how bad could it be? And sure enough, I was surprised to find that while it was not nearly as good as The Conjuring, it was still a decent movie in my opinion.

Annabelle is a prequel/spin-off to last year's hit horror film, The Conjuring. It is about the origins of the evil doll from some of the movie's best scenes. It tells the story of its possession and how it haunted the owners.

I was initially excited for this movie, but my expectations were lowered when I found out that it was not, as I previously expected, based on a true story like The Conjuring was. They were lowered even further when I found out who was directing. The director's name is John R Leonetti, and he was the director of photography for The Conjuring and much of director James Wan's other work, but his only other two directing credits, (Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, and The Butterfly Effect 2) were poorly received.

However, this film wasn't really that bad. However, it was definitely flawed. The characters at times make stupid decisions, and it does not have the same effect as The Conjuring. But there are some good jump-scares, and the same creepy atmosphere as its predecessor.

This may not be the best horror movie, but if you want to see a horror movie this October, you could do worse than see Annabelle.

3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment