Saturday, January 20, 2018

Bright Review


Directed by: David Ayer (Suicide Squad, End of Watch, Fury)

Starring: Will Smith, Joel Edgerton, Noomi Rapace

Written by: Max Landis (Chronicle, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, American Ultra)

Review: I went into this movie not knowing what to expect in terms of quality. While most critics have panned it, it seems to be much better received among other viewers. I guess I am in the latter group.
This movie takes place in an alternate world where humans and fantasy creatures live together in a modern day setting. This world is very intriguing and is shown in a way that feels real. The elves make up the richest class, and the orcs are often discriminated against. This offers up some admittedly not-so-subtle commentary on racism. My main complaint with it is that the movie never lets us explore it more.
The story revolves around a cop played by Will Smith, who is partnered up with an orc, played by Joel Edgerton. At the scene of a crime, they find a magic wand which they need to keep out of the hands of an evil organization. The result is a unique mix of Training Day and Lord of the Rings, that works better than that combination may sound.
The action and visual effects are good, and while it's rarely hilarious, it does have a few good moments of comedy. But unfortunately, there are also a few lines of dialogue that sound cheesy or cliche. However, it does an overall great job of taking the viewer into an interesting new world, even if it does leave you wanting more.
Despite its flaws, this is something that is rarely seen in theaters anymore. A good, original, R-rated blockbuster. It kept me consistently interested, and I'm actually interested in seeing a sequel.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Also, from this point on I've decided that I would try to upload my reviews every Saturday afternoon (Pacific Standard Time). I just want to keep my reviews on a consistent basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment