Thursday, December 31, 2015

Jay's Most Anticipated Movies of 2016

Another year has passed, and now its time once again to count down my most anticipated movies of 2016.
This list is mostly blockbusters, because that's most of what I hear about. These probably won't all be the movies that I would rank among my favorites at the end of the year, but until I see what the Oscar bait this year will be, this is what I'm most interested in.

10. Finding Dory
The sequel to one of Pixar's best. The trailer was sort of underwhelming, but I was never expecting it to be as good as the original. This could still be a great movie, or at least adequate entertainment.
9. Bourne 5
Matt Damon is back as Jason Bourne in the untitled next chapter in the Bourne saga. This could be a nice return to form for the series.
8. Hail Caesar
 The smallest movie on this list, this movie is directed by the Coen brothers. It tells the story of a movie producer who needs to get the lead actor of his movie back from kidnappers. It looks like what we have come to expect from this team, and what we love about them.
7. Captain America: Civil War
The next movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe will pit Captain America against Iron Man. This could be an exciting movie, and I would like to see who will win.
6. Suicide Squad
 
And now for the other side of the comic book movie spectrum, DC Comics. Very few movie franchises have come across more controversy than their planned cinematic universe. This movie is no exception. While it may not be as controversial as their other movie coming out this year (more on that later), many people hated the look of Jared Leto's Joker. However, the trailer has definitely sold me with its visuals and tone, and I am eager to see this movie.
5. X-men Apocalypse
The next chapter in the X-men franchise is directed once again by Bryan Singer, the director of the first two and Days of Future's Past. I really liked all of these movies, and would like to see him do another X-men movie.
4. Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them
So we actually managed to get another Harry Potter movie. This one is based on a textbook in the Harry Potter universe that JK Rowling got published in real life. Um... okay. The main reason I'm anticipating this movie so much, instead of just passing it off as another cash grab, is that the screenplay is written by Rowling herself. I think that this will mean that it will maintain the magic of the original books and movies.
3. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
This movie had been through a lot. During production, pretty much every casting choice was criticized. The final trailer gave away a lot of the story. Add that to mixed reviews for Man of Steel, and you have got a recipe for disaster. However, as somebody who enjoyed Man of Steel, I am still looking forward to this. I think Ben Affleck has already convinced us he is a believable Batman, and would like to see if Jesse Eisenberg and Gal Gadot can prove themselves as well. I am hoping that this will be an exciting and interesting movie.
2. Deadpool
 Everything they have put out to promote this movie has been amazing. I have seen the first trailer so many times I probably know it by heart. I am a fan of good action movies, especially those that have the guts to go for a hard R rating. I also like humor that breaks the fourth wall, which I hear the comics have a lot of. The combination of violent action and witty comic dialog seems to work extremely well in the trailers and I can't wait to see the whole movie.
 1. Rouge One: A Star Wars Story
The first Star Wars spin-off movie is directed by Gareth Edwards, best known for directing the 2014 Godzilla reboot, and the independent hit Monsters. The release of The Force Awakens has proven that Star Wars is back, and I'm excited to see the next chapter. So for the second year in a row, the number one spot goes to Star Wars.

No comments:

Post a Comment