Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Super Bowl Trailer Reviews

Yesterday, the biggest television event in America aired. The Super Bowl. The Seattle Sea-hawks lost after a bizarre and humiliating final few minutes, but that's not what I'm here to talk about. Being uninterested in sports, I watch the game for the commercials. And now I'm going to give my thoughts on the trailers that aired.

To be clear, this article will only be about the commercials for upcoming movies. I am going to talk about all of them that I find listed on a website (http://www.slashfilm.com/2015-super-bowl-movie-trailers/), and I'm going to just give a few brief sentences (or most often short phrases passed off as sentences) on each rather than going fully in depth into all of them. This was also the first time I get to see some of these previews, because in the middle of the third inning the fire alarm went off in my dorm building, and it needed to be evacuated for a short time, (no kidding!) so I missed them when they aired.

Okay. So here I go.

Insurgent
Sequel to Divergent. Wasn't really a fan of the first one. This teaser looks all right I guess, for fans.

Fifty Shades of Gray
No comment.

Furious 7
Seventh Fast and Furious movie. Shows some ridiculous action. Which is the reason people like this franchise. I enjoyed it. Interesting to see how they handled Paul Walker's death in this movie.

Hot Tub Time Machine 2
Amusing pun, and satire of deflate-gate.

Inside Out (Puppy Bowl)
For this one, Pixar decided to advertise their next film during the Puppy Bowl instead.  Nothing here that particularly grabbed my attention, but it's Pixar, so it will probably still be good.

Jurassic World
In this movie, Jurassic Park was opened to the general public. Does anybody reading this think that this could possibly end well? This one had some great footage. However, I am also concerned about some aspects of it. For example, near the end, it looks as if Chris Pratt is leading raptors to fight the genetically modified dinosaur. And that's f**king stupid. Although to be fair I'm still not sure if that's what's going on yet.

Kingsman: The Secret Service
Could be good. Evidently, at least some critics liked it,

Minions
Despicable Me spinoff. Commercial was all right I guess.

Pitch Perfect 2
Never saw the first one. This looks like it could be funny.

Seventh Son
Never heard much about this movie before, and it's apparently coming to theaters this Friday. Nothing great here, but nothing terrible either.

The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water
 I'm a big fan of Spongebob Squarepants. I grew up with the show, and it still hasn't lost its charm. With that being said, I don't know how to react to this movie. I'm not sure if I like a live action version of it; it kind of reminds me of the Smurfs movie. The previews also don't look very good. I'm probably going to see it anyway, if only out of curiousity or to write a review of it online. Besides, it's probably the same writers. How bad could it be? (I hope)

Ted 2
Interesting how they got a Super Bowl commercial with Tom Brady at the same time he was in the Super Bowl. Makes me wonder if this scene was in the movie or shot just for the game. Anyway, the comercial was funny. Kind of racy for a commercial.

Terminator: Genisys
 Commercial looks okay. Still somewhat skeptical about the movie though. The trailer made it look kind of confusing, but at least Arnold's back. Just let this at least not be another PG-13 rated film.

Tommorrowland
 A movie based on a portion of Disneyland? Well, at least it has a good director (Brad Bird, who did some of Pixar's best). I still don't know anything about what this movie's about, but maybe that's a good thing, I don't want the advertising to give away too much (cough The Amazing Spider-man 2 cough). Overall, this looks good, but I'm still not particularly interested in it over a lot of other movies this year.

And those are my thoughts on the Super Bowl trailers for 2015.

I think that my favorite of these was the Jurassic World commercial, despite my skepticism of how they were treating the raptors. Overall, most of these commercials were at least adequate, and for the most part I am looking forward to another year of movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment